Sam’s Pizzeria originally opened in 1946, one of two pizzerias in Essex County. The original location was one block away from its current space, which was opened in 1952. Six families have operated the business since then (three related families running since 1978). Delivery was offered from the beginning using Volkswagens and bikes. After 1996, the restaurant area opened with a licensed sit-down area. The first owner Sam Mazzella was from province of Frosinone in central Italy.
Ralph Mattano has owned the business since 2005, and his wife is first cousins with previous owner. Ralph began working at the restaurant in 1996 as a pizza delivery man and waiter, and then eventually bought the business. The pizza is cooked in a stone oven with the same original recipe from 1946.
Olive oil and fresh herbs, sprinkled with parmesan cheese
Tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, fresh garlic, shrimp, scallops and calamari
Tomatoe sauce, mozzarella cheese, ham, green peas, black olives and artichokes